Pages

2.27.2013

HelloGiggles Feature: Four Situations That Make Your Miss Your Mother


Hi! So here is something AMAZING that happened... One of my essays got published on HelloGiggles

[My mom <3]


They say that when you move to your college dorm room for the first time you begin to realize how much you need your mother. I happen to think that is not true.  I mean how independent are you really when you move to college? I feel like when you move out to the real world, as an adult, far away from home, is the time you realize how much you need your mother. I, for instance, decided to pack my bags in my sunny South Florida home and move to the wonderful New York City. As independent as I am, there have been certain situations that have me wondering "What have I done?" and "Where is my mom?"

1-When rent is due.
Yes, we all want to be big time hot shots and be financially independent. We all want that beautiful apartment in a gorgeous building overlooking Central Park. Let’s face it; you probably live in an old, tiny, 2 bedroom-Brooklyn walk-up with four other roommates. If that’s not enough to get your spirits down, how about having to come up with your first share of rent, and, gasp, you don’t think you’re going to be able to make it because you decided to buy those designer boots instead... "Hi, mom? Um, I need to borrow some money so I don’t have to sleep on a subway bench."

2-When you get a cold.
Seriously, what is it about a cold that absolutely makes you miss your mother? Maybe it's the fact that rarely anyone else will make you chicken noodle soup, rent out your favorite chick flicks (i.e. Clueless, Mean Girls, Breakfast at Tiffany's) and tuck you into a warm blankie. Unless you have found the perfect boyfriend/husband who isn't closeted, let's be honest, most everyone you know works a hard 9-5, and will not come take care of your sniffles.

3-When a mind-blowing hurricane attacks (or any other natural disaster)
OK, so as a native Florida girl I should be totally prepared for a hurricane or any other form of storm coming my way. Truth is I've always had my parents prepare for everything, and I've just sort of tagged along for the main event. Now with high winds, flood watches, hurricanes, and snowstorms, I'm freaking out. I need my mother to yell at me and tell me what to do and hold my hand while telling me "Everything is going to be ok" when I have to go out in the snow to get to work.

4-When you get a nasty stain on your clothes.
Picture this: you’re sitting on your couch watching How I met Your Mother re-runs eating delivery Pad Thai, when suddenly that scrumptious little orange noodle decides to slip through your chopstick and make its way onto your favorite white blouse. Where is mom with all those fantastic stain removal home remedies that do all the things our $6.99 detergent doesn't do?! We don't want to pay our corner Laundromat to do it...mom does it for free!

So whenever you feel annoyed when your mother is smothering you with phone calls and voicemails, don’t. Karma will come kick you in the ass and you will get a cold, stain your clothes, and a crazy natural disaster will happen, the day rent is due.
Hope you enjoyed it!

xx,
Andee D

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I don't know what I would do without my mom!

    http://loyaltofashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally remember this feeling. I remember when I first went to University and I thought i was fine until something happened and i broke down and had to call my mum as I missed her. Mums are everything!!!

    J <3
    https://itsreallyjenny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...